Gas-X if you have crohns/colitis???
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-26 18:31:48 UTC
Anyone know if you can take Gas-X and if it will help relieve bloating,
or it the ingredient in it (Simethicone) will iritate these conditions?

I asked my pharmacist and he said "it should be okay", but that is such
an iffy answer it makes me uneasy.

Anyone?
Sdores
2006-12-26 18:59:15 UTC
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-26 19:34:19 UTC
The ones I picked up are the soft chewable ones. I've been doing a
little internet reading and it seems some people do take them who have
colitis. Now it is IF I want to chance it. hmmm
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-26 19:45:33 UTC
Okay I just read on drugs.com and medline.com to not take Gas-X like
products if you have an inflamed bowel, which I am sure I do as I have
had diarrhea for four days now.
It goes on to say that Gas-X works by making small bubbles in the colon
(eech!) to create a larger bubble which will be expelled. hmm, I'm a
little nervous after reading this. :(
Maryjo
2006-12-26 21:17:42 UTC
I have been taking Gas - X for years without any repurcussions ..... I
have taken it during the worst of my flares ... But, everyone reacts
differently ......... I do not have any open ulcers in my colon, though
I may have some in my upper GI due to GERD/ULCERS that I also suffer
from ... but still not any problem ......... the only problem I may
have is that it can break up the gas enough to make me want to fart,
but I don't dare do that unless I am on a toilet, due to lack of
control ............ is it just gas or is it the big "D" ??? my luck it
would be the big "D" and I am not near a toilet ........ oops, there I
go with the diarrhea of the mouth syndrome again
Sdores
mgbio

Anyone?
Jeff
2006-12-27 02:40:20 UTC
I've got UC but when I get real gassy I take a few Rolaids. They help with
the gas and don't seem to have any negative effects. But I would caution
that you should be careful using these types of remedies on a long term
basis. Better to try to find the more systemic cause of the problem if you
can. Taking digestive enzymes can help reduce gas by breaking down the food
more completely. This can also aid your digestion of nutrients and may be a
better solution to the root cause.

But as with most people it's trial and error to see what works best for you.

tx
Jeff N
Anyone?
annie
2006-12-27 06:24:41 UTC
hi
i use it...the tablets...the store brand from walmart..same as the
expensive one..and it helps a lot with indigestion and bloating..it has
never made it worse..only better...
annie
Anyone?
Maryjo
2006-12-27 23:01:51 UTC
That is the ones that I use ....... walmarts brand .... and I have only
had good results ...... Hell, I even give them to my cocker spaniels
for their smelly gas farts ....... works wonders !!! ...........
Anyone?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
Jeff and Mary
2006-12-28 05:04:29 UTC
lmao! i just went thru a period of bloating, cramps and gass and, as mary
says, "explosive toileting"...hee, hee. got the "burning rear end" out of
it too. neva thought much about gas x or the store brand version. will
have to pick some up and try it next time. dang crohns does it all, doesn't
it?
jeff

Maryjo
2006-12-28 22:53:06 UTC
Oh I hate the burning rear end part, especcially since I suffer with
hemorroids (sp) also ........... now that is hell !!! The gas x is
definitly a help, and with the combination of anti spasmadic like
Bentyl or Levsin it definitly makes is a LITTLE more tolerable ...... I
don't know about crohns, but it helps with my collagenous colitis
Anyone?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
Musashi
2006-12-28 11:13:39 UTC
I take Gas X without any problems. Apart from belching a little
peppermint flavour after taking them. That's does not irritate me
though. I get no problems with Gas X and they work well. I use the
tablets, little green squidgy balls that you swallow whole. My friend
got me them when she went to America. She's from Kalamazoo but lives
here now, and goes back twice a year. So she gets me what I need. Me
and Mum have tried a homeopathic one from America too recently. It's
called Hyland's GAS. You dissolve 2-3 tablets under the tongue. I have
never tasted anything so horrible in my life, it's vile, and takes ages
to get rid of the taste. It's like eating a daffodile bulb or
something, yeeeuuukkk!! BUT, it works flippin' brilliantly! I took it
Christmas morning, and I felt wonderful all day long. It really kept my
bowel calm.

Musashi
Anyone?
Maryjo
2006-12-28 23:01:19 UTC
I used to live in Kalamazoo ... what a small world ......... I moved
from Michigan in 1998 to Florida ...... I use the same squishy ball
type gas x ........ I get it here in Florida ...... at walmarts as the
generic brand
Jeff and Mary